5 bread pudding recipes using Southeast Asian ingredients like kaya, gula Melaka, coconut milk, condensed milk, pandan leaves, candied pineapple and banana.
My impression of bread pudding recipes is that they use up stale bread using milk/cream, eggs and butter. I always find them too sweet until I tried some on a Royal Caribbean cruise buffet spread. It was light and refreshing. I had seconds.
Now, I am game to try different variations of this sweet bread dessert, especially those that feature tropical ingredients.
Kaya Bread Pudding Recipe
A bread pudding recipe featuring a local jam called kaya.
Kaya is Singapore’s answer to jam. It is a bread spread made with coconut milk, egg and sugar. It is the first time I see it used in a bread pudding.
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 pandan leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 heaped tablespoon kaya
- 6 slices white bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 170 degree celsius
- Tie the 2 pandan leaves together in a big knot
- In a small pan, heat coconut milk with the pandan leaves and salt
- Bring to a simmer, stirring often, and then remove from the heat. Allow to cool completely
- Spread kaya over the slices of bread and sandwich the slices together
- Cut the sandwiches into four triangles each
- Arrange the triangles in a casserole dish
- Place the eggs in a bowl and whisk till well combined
- Remove the pandan leaves from the coconut milk. Pour the coconut milk and fresh milk into the bowl of eggs and mix to combine.
- Pour this mixture over the bread. Push the bread back down if it floats to the top of the dish. Leave to soak for 30 minutes
- Place the casserole dish on a baking tray lined with foil
- Baked in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the slices of bread at the top of the dish start to turn golden brown and crisp
Thai Coffee Bread Pudding Recipe
A bread pudding recipe featuring condensed milk, espresso powder, cardamon, and cinnamon. Cooked up by Maria Del Mar Cuadra.
Gula Melaka Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
This recipe is shared by Sarah Huang Benjamin at the Asian Food Network.
It features gula Melaka, which is Malay for Malacca sugar. It is a traditional sweet condiment made from boiling down the liquid collected from the cut stem of immature palm flower stalks. That’s right, it is palm sugar.
Singapore Tropical Bread Pudding Recipe
Designed by Li from HINTS FOR THE HOME.
This recipe features gula Melaka, coconut milk, candied pineapple and pandan-flavoured bread.
Very detailed instructions with accompanying photos. Interesting use of flavoured bread.
Vietnamese Coconut Bread and Butter Pudding
This recipe, designed by Luke Nguyen of Asian Food Network fame, features sweet finger banana, unsweetened coconut flakes, and condensed milk.