Fried okra recipe stashed!
Okra is also known as lady’s fingers in my part of the world.
It isn’t everyone’s favourite vegetable because of its mucous texture. However, it is also this mucous substance that makes it a good dietary remedy for people with gastric inflammation or ulcers.
This fried okra recipe should produce a fairly tasty snack and a good introduction to okra newbies.
If you don’t fancy making the batter from scratch, substitute with tempura batter.
250g okra or lady’s fingers
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp tapioca flour
2 tbsp rice flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp cooking oil
3-4 tbsp water
- Wash the okra thoroughly, cut off the tips of the stalks and the ends if necessary
- Combine all the batter ingredients and break up any lumps
- Heat up a wok of oil enough to deep fry the okra
- Dip the okras in the batter and coat well
- Slide them gently into the oil and deep fry them
- Take them out when they are crispy and golden brown
- Place on kitchen towel to remove excess oil
- Serve hot if possible